Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Journey Starts Here...

For those of you who have followed our To M's In The Kitchen blog... you know that I have Celiac Disease. I also have an autoimmune disease of the thyroid, which is why we have done all our gluten free cooking.  I have recently started seeing a wonderful doctor who is teaching me alot, and getting me to start thinking about things a little differently. First thing she told me was to quit focusing on the fact that I have two different diseases and realize that I have one... Autoimmune Disease, which caused the two different ones. Boosting my immune system and controlling the inflammation would be our first goal. In doing that we had to take a look at my diet. I needed to be on an anti inflammatory diet... and for the most part, I already was due to the celiac. However, prior to knowing I had Celiac disease, I avoided most carbs, too many carbs actually. But, nonetheless, my weight was good, my blood pressure was good and I had the really low cholesterol, which is not usual for someone with a bad thyroid. When I found out that I had celiac, and that it wasn't carbs that were bothering me, but the gluten and wheat containing carbs... man did I have a hay day! Potatoes, brown rice, quiona... became a staple. I even cut down on my meat consumption. A few years later, here I am... my blood pressure is the highest it's ever been. I can't lose any more weight, and my autoimmune flare ups are occurring frequently even avoiding the gluten. It's time for a change.
I started researching the Paleo diet, which is commonly known as "The Caveman" diet. It is an anti-inflammatory diet, and it truly makes sense based on my history. So... M2 is goin' Paleo!


 
So here is the dealio in a nutshell. I don't have this blog looking like I want yet, at all, however, I wanted a place to start writing about my journey. The program that I am currently going through and all the ups and down. I have recently started the Paleo way of eating, as I stated above. I am currently doing a new exercise program and am embarking on a 30 day to a better me program.
Years ago when I was diagnosed with my thyroid problem and before my Hashi's diagnosis, I had read a book by Dr. Kharrazian called Why do I still have thyroid symptoms. He spoke of ways to live life normally with Hashi's and how do that. If I would have taken it to my General Practitioner he would have laughed at me. For years, my mother told me to go visit him. He was down in San Diego. As busy as my life is... do you think that was going to happen? Mom stumbled across a lady in our area that actually has studied under Dr. Kharrazian and uses all his practices. She's a firecracker I tell ya! She know's what she's talking about, and just expects you to listen and follow her directions. Now keep in mind... I am not a pill popper. I take minimal amounts of anything. Yet, I have an arsenal of concoctions and pills (all botanical of course) that I am currently embarking on. When I first started this program with her, I was leery to take anything in the amounts she stated. So me being who I am, was taking it the way I wanted to. Well, after my last visit, and a good scolding... I am following her directions to the T! As hard as that is for me to do... I am hoping that if I blog about it, someone out there might just benefit from this. I am also hoping that I start to feel like the vibrant 40 year old woman that I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment