Friday, March 14, 2014

Hungarian Caveman Pie!


Every morning I log onto Pinterest and pick a quote for the day.  I  write them in my day planner... and post them all over my desktop so I see them all through the day.  I have noticed that it really keeps me focused on my task at hand.  To feel good again! This one here came on a morning, today, that I woke up feeling awesome possum!  I have gotten back into my workout routine (5 lbs down last week), and making sure that the menu's for the families meals are focusing on real food once again.   This is week 2, and I feel like a totally different person than I did a few weeks ago!  My depression cloud is nowhere to be seen today, and seriously... I still have a lot I could be depressed about... but it's just not worth my time.  The quote I saw the other day said " Worrying doesn't' take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace!"  OMG... how true is that?

I've been in a easy one pot meal kind of mood.  We got a new crockpot that I have been trying some new things out on, and I am now officially obsessed with Casseroles!  Do you have any idea how hard it is to make a Grain Free Casserole?  You just can't find a lot out there.  On my casserole mission I stumbled across a Caveboy Casserole recipe from Our Paleo Life.  You should give her website a looksy, and give this recipe a try.  It turned out amazing.  I called mine a Hungarian Caveman Pie because I added Hot Hungarian Paprika to it and hot pepper to flakes to kick it up a notch!  Do you think Hungarian Caveman had paprika back then?  Ground beef, or was it ground brontosaurus?

I want to make sure credit is given where credit is due, so please check out Kendra's Caveboy Casserole.  You may like her choices better than mine.  The changes I made to mine were minor.   Her pictures are prettier... that's for sure, and OMG... her Taco Seasoning recipe is a new staple that I am making for our pantry.    Just as I always say though... cooking should be fun. Recipes should be used for ideas... what makes them unique is what the cook brings to them.  Go forth and cook!

Hungarian Caveman Pie


2 lbs Grass-Fed Organic Beef
2 Batches of Kendra's Taco Seasoning
3 tsp Arrowroot Flour
Avocado Oil (my oil of choice these days)
1 large Yellow Onion
2 Bell Peppers (I used red because they're pretty)
1 large Tomato
1 can of Black Olives
2 Cans of Diced chiles
2 tbsp Hungarian Hot Paprika
Red Pepper Flakes to taste

In cast iron skillet, brown onion, and bell peppers until soft.  Add hamburger and spices and cook through.  Mix in 1 can of chiles, half of the olives, and tomato.  In a small bit of hot water mix arrowroot into a smooth paste and add to meat mixture.  Top with crust (below), remaining black olives and second can of chiles.  Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until crust is browned on the edges.  

Crust

1/2 cup Almond Flour
1/4 cup Coconut Flour
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
3 Eggs
2 tbsp melted Ghee
2 tbsp melted Coconut oil
1/2 cup full fat Coconut milk











No comments:

Post a Comment