Friday, March 21, 2014

Spaghetti Squash One Dish Wonder!

It's amazing how quickly your body can respond when you start taking care of it again.  This is my third week back into my groove... and I am feeling amazing.  I haven't been able to say that in a long time.  It blows my mind how easy it is to fall back into bad habits, but so hard to fall back into good ones.  I have had a great support group this time, and I think that has made a huge difference. 

I love talking to people and getting their opinions on food.  Some could care less about the food they eat and other's obsess.  I happen to be one that obsesses... but one of the reasons is because I am fascinated how food can either make you sick or healthy... it depends on your body and what you put in it.  There are so many foods out there that have healing properties and yet so many times we chose to put crap in it. 

I happen to still be in my one dish meal obsession, since I've been trying to take a  wee bit more time for ME... it helps keep healthy eating easy! ! This dish can actually be made up ahead of time and cooked when you get home. (And you have 45 minutes while it's cooking to get your booty in gear and fit some exercise in right?)

The star of this one dish wonder is spaghetti squash.  I use to think that spaghetti squash, and squash in general was a fall kind of dish... lately though, all the seasons run together, and I seem to  find these available all throughout the year.  Especially out here in Cali.  I'm not sure where our winter went?   Spring is officially here!
Spaghetti squash has a low calorie and carbohydrate count, but some tidbits you might not realize about this golden gourd is it contains Omega-3 and Omega-6 essential fatty acids.  These Omega's help prevent heart diseases, inflammation and different kinds of cancers.  Omega-6's in particular provide numerous amounts of minerals and vitamins which are essential for proper body functioning... including brain function.    It is high in beta carotene, which helps prevent atherosclerosis and potassium which helps to lower high blood pressure. Once it's cooked, it can be shredded and used as noodles in place of pasta... which is great for people who have grain sensitivities.  In this recipe... my family thinks the squash resembles rice... um...whatever works right?  You can also get creative with this... you could add other ingredients and make it as complicated as you wish.  It has sparked a few other ideas in my noggin as well which I will be testing out soon.    

I've been using myfitnesspal with my fitbit daily.  I am able to log what I am eating, and work up my reecipes to see the calorie content.  I love it.  This recipe makes six large servings at only 227 calories each.  If anyone uses myfitnesspal, my user name is karimarkel, I would be glad to add you as a friend!  

The SS One Dish Wonder



1 large or 2 small Spaghetti Squash
1 lb Organic Free Range Ground Pork
1 Can Pizza Sauce (I use organic, with no sugar)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil or Ghee
3 Eggs
1 can Olives, sliced
1 Red Bell Pepper, Diced
1 medium Yellow Onion, Diced
Salt and Pepper to taste
4 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
Fresh Basil

Cut Squash in half, turn upside down in dish.  Add water (enough to cover 1/4 of the squash) and bake in 350 degree oven until soft.  Turn squash over, shred with fork.  I wipe out my dish that I cooked the squash in and place all my shredded squash back in the dish.  Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees.  In skillet add oil or ghee, add onions and bell pepper and saute until soft.  Add ground pork, olives and spices,  and cook until pork is done.  Mix in pork mixture, 3 beaten eggs, fresh chopped basil and can of pizza sauce to squash shreds and mix well.  Bake for 45 minutes, or until moisture decreases.  I turned on the broiler for a bit and made a bit of a crispy crust on mine.  Add salad and voila! 





  

No comments:

Post a Comment