Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend!

Memorial day weekend was a great weekend for us.  We didn't go much of anywhere, and I unplugged for most of it.  No Facebook, no Twitter.  It was pretty lovely.  

I had my first attempt at making Bone Broth out of marrow bones!  I have been reading so much about the healing affects on Bone Broth, I had to give it a shot.  Broth from marrow bones is rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and amino acids!  For those of us suffering from autoimmune disease it can seriously reduce inflammation and help areas of your body that need healing.  I need as much help in that department as I can get.  All I did was get 2 lbs of marrow bones, and threw them in the crock-pot with some garlic, onions, celery, cilantro, salt and pepper. 

Covered ingredients with water and cooked it slow for 10 hours.   Now, it had a huge layer of fat on the top, and Hubs came up with a great idea that worked.  We put it in the fridge overnight to cool, and the layer of fat hardened on top.  We were able to lift that sucker right out the next morning.  We strained it and now I have two Mason Jars full of goodness.  I will be doing bone broth shooters all week.  Yummy!  

For dinner on Memorial Day... We had ribs, watermelon, and Mediterranean Broccoli.  Broccoli is always a go to veggie since everyone in our household likes it.  I am always looking for new ways to prepare it.  Let me know what you think.  I served it warm, but had it cold for lunch today!  I think I like it better that way.  Note to self though... Do not take ribs as leftovers... Ribs are not easy to eat at your desk.  Not very lady like I must say!  

Mediterranean Broccoli

3 Broccoli Crowns
1 package of Grape Tomatoes
1 can sliced black olives
2 cloves of garlic
1 Lemon (Juice and Zest)
4 Tbsp Capers
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

Line a baking sheet with foil (makes clean up a breeze) and place cut up broccoli, minced garlic and tomatoes in a layer on pan.  Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Bake on 450 until desired crispiness has been achieved.  While these are baking, zest your lemon into a bowl, juice the lemon and add remaining ingredients.  Once your broccoli mixture is done, add to the ingredients in the bowl and toss!  Yum Yum!  





No comments:

Post a Comment