Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Zucchini Noodles and Avocado Pesto... OH MY!!

It's really hard to believe what happened this week in Oklahoma.  It's sad that such tragedy could happen in such a short amount of time.  I look at the devastation and realize that out here in California it could just as easily happen to us with an earthquake.  I don't think that anyone could ever be prepared for something of that magnitude.  I only pray that they will recover as quickly as possible.

Here in California, the weather has been getting warm and our garden is starting to take off.  I absolutely can't wait to have fresh zucchini whenever I want it.  In anticipation of that event... I cracked out my zucchini noodle maker (its really called a Zyliss Julienne Peeler) but I like zucchini noodle maker better.  That in combination with some Avocado Pesto...  OMG!  I seriously could eat this everyday.  So easy to make, and so refreshing!  We made this as a side to Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs!  You can find recipes for Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs all over the Internet.  Probably because it's just so dang easy to do.  You simply get boneless chicken this, beat out the thighs so you have room to roll some goodness inside, wrap with bacon and bake on 375 until done.  We stuffed ours with peaches and cilantro (wish I could remember where I found that idea to give them credit... but I don't... Sorry!)  I'm thinking some basil and tomato wrapped inside might be a tasty variation to give a whirl too!   Give a try... let me know what you think!


Zucchini Noodles with Avocado Pesto

As many Zucchini that your heart desires
1 Avocado
2 Cloves Garlic
8 to 10 Basil Leaves
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
Avocado or Olive Oil
Salt 
Crushed Red Pepper

Use your ZNM (Zucchini Noodle Maker, AKA Julienne Peeler) and create your yummy noodles.  Place noodles in colander and add a tablespoon of salt, mix well.  This will sweat out the moisture of your Zucchini.  (Hint... I usually sit my colander on a plate or in a Pyrex because that moisture has to go somewhere right?)  I usually let them sweat for at least 30 minutes.  (Good time to make the Avocado Pesto listed below.)  Rinse noodles well.  Place noodles in a towel, I use a potato sack towel, and ring out the excess moisture.  Place in a bowl and toss lightly to separate.   Top with Pesto and voila!  The pesto is really rich, so only a small dollop does the trick!  

Avocado Pesto

Peel and Pit the avocado.  Place the avocado innards in a food processor along with Basil, Lemon Juice, and Garlic.  Give a few quick pulses to combine.  Turn on processor and Start drizzling oil of choice until it reaches desired consistency.  I like mine thick, but others might like it thinner like a salad dressing.  It's your pesto... make it your own.  At this point, once again... use your taste buds and decide how much salt and Crushed Red Pepper you want to add.  That's it!  Easy as Pie.  Pie?  Why do people say "Easy as Pie" anyway?  I just wrote that and thought... Pie isn't easy to make... geesh!  



No comments:

Post a Comment